I ran across a web site called The Unclutterer - sort of a self help site, which I am normally averse to, but this one presented the idea of "Things you won't do again lists." You know all about bucket lists - things you want to do before you die. The kind of list I am about write is of the opposite nature - things I won't do again. Since I do tend to have a potty mouth, though, I am going to use a different name - My Own Frak List. I wrote about this on Forever Geek, but with a geek slant, of course.
So here goes nothing. Welcome to my Frak List. Things I will never do again.
- Drink till I get sick. This has happened to me only three times in my entire life: one in college (gin and pomelo juice) and twice while working with one of the best companies ever (can't remember all the drinks by now). I like my drink, but I really would rather be happily buzzed than throwing up all over the place and waking up with a killer hangover.
- Depend on other people. This covers so many aspects of life, but let's just say that I have learned that it is better not to leave your fate in the hands of others when you can do something about it. If you do open up to another person, make sure that you know that one day, it might all backfire on you. Jaded much? Never denied it.
- Place my eggs in one basket. No shit, Sherlock. Even nursery rhymes can tell you the wisdom behind this statement! Planning and dreaming - they're all quite okay. What you ought not to do is to place all your hopes in one thing. If something seems to good to be true, it probably is. The alternative? Make sure your bases are covered. That way, you can move on to another path easily when things don't go according to what you have planned.
- Be afraid to travel alone. I was terrified. There, I said it. I was so afraid of traveling alone because I tend to get lost easily. You see, I am afflicted with a wandering mind. That's one reason I don't like to drive - but that's another story. In any case, I have been on two trips alone - one local, the other overseas; and you know what? I had the time of my life! Oh yeah, and I didn't get lost. :)
- Do something out of guilt. I have a very strong notion about what is right and what is wrong. While I believe that this is an admirable trait, it has also led me to do a lot of things that have been detrimental to my self. Looking back, I realize that I did those things because I felt guilty about not doing the right thing. What I missed out on were the other circumstances that would have shown be the "real" right thing. Confused now? Just believe me when I say that doing something out of guilt almost always never helps. Oh, another thing - do not let yourself be tied down because of guilt either.
- Not stop myself from trying something new. Well, I am a wuss, what can I say? Most of the time, I want to try something new. Then again, anxiety sets in and I will just back away. This past year, I have pushed myself to the limits, and you know what? I felt FREE! I tried crawling into the Cu Chi Tunnels (tried is the operative word). I talked to strangers (sometimes). I traveled alone. I tried eating stingray meat. I let a giant sea lion give me a wet slobbering kiss. Heck, I even tried opening myself up to other people (again, tried is the operative word). Not all of the experiences were successful, but you know what? Ask me if I care! I tried, and that's what matters. The next time I face something something alien, I shall declare "BRING IT ON!"